Marshall William Faulk was born February 26th, 1973, in New Orleans, Louisiana to parents Roosevelt and Cecile Faulk. The youngest of five brothers, he grew up in the Desire Housing Projects 9th ward. Sports were always a great escape from the bad influences in the neighborhood and at a young age began shaping Marshall into the man he is today.
Faulk's love of the game started early on while playing at George Washington Carver High School. He excelled at four different positions: quarterback, running back, wide receiver and cornerback, even lettering in track and field. Marshall also excelled in the classroom, and especially loved math. He learned early on the importance of good grades and a strong education.
After being recruited by several universities nationwide, Marshall chose to begin his running back career at San Diego State University. While other colleges fruitlessly pursued him with the intent of playing him at cornerback, San Diego State was the only school who had him pegged for the offensive backfield. This move proved to open up a world of opportunity for Marshall’s future professional career as well as instill his love for the San Diego area.
During his tenure with the St. Louis Rams, Marshall began working with the NFL network as an on-air analyst. He is currently in his 5th year with the network and can be seen on “Total Access”, “Game Day Morning” and “Total Access on Location”.
Outside of football, the all-star running back has found a passion for the game of golf. In just over ten years on the greens, Marshall has achieved a 6 handicap and an impressive 7 hole-in-ones. Two of his hole-in-ones came within four days of each other in July of 2009, one at the American Century Tournament and the other at Shady Canyon Golf Club.
Getting to Know Faulk
- What was your favorite childhood television program?
- What's your favorite song?
“Greatest Love of All” – by George Benson
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
- Ninjas or pirates?
- Would you rather always lose or never play?
- What’s your favorite fast-food restaurant?
- What’s your favorite book?
“Tuesdays with Morrie”
- What’s your favorite golf course to play?
The Journey at Pechanga
- Favorite TV show?
- Disneyland or Magic Mountain?
- NBA or MLB?
- Who was your sports idol growing up?
Rickey Jackson – NFL Hall of Fame linebacker (New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers)
- What was your favorite class at San Diego State?
Poly Sci 101 with Dr. Pageant
- If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Red beans and rice
- What is your favorite event to watch in the Olympics?
- Mac or PC?
- What do you miss from Louisiana?
- Favorite casino in Las Vegas?
- San Diego Wild Animal Park or SeaWorld?
- If you hadn’t been a professional athlete, what profession would you have chosen?
An Athletic Director